Avalanche Training, Consulting & Risk Management
I offer a variety of avalanche and snow safety training, consulting, and risk management services in Norway and abroad. Examples include risk management in ski guiding operations, hazard and risk assessments for industry/infrastructure, such as ski resorts, roads and mines, and projects in remote or high-altitude environments.
- Avalanche courses, recreational and professional
- Worker training in avalanche and mountain safety
- Project-specific avalanche courses and training
- Avalanche assessments and forecasting
- Avalanche risk identification, analysis, and evaluation
- Risk treatment - implementation of mitigation strategies & monitoring
- Resulting avalanche safety plan
- Snow climate studies
- Expert consultation for projects and event/accident review
- Evaluation of existing risk management plans
- Canadian Avalanche Association Level 3 and ISO 31000 standards
GIS & Avalanche Mapping:
- Wind-field and snow drift modelling based on a terrain parameter and weather station data.
- Avalanche hazard mapping - locator maps, avalanche atlas, avalanche paths
- Visualization of data and hazards for stakeholders to understands hazards, risks and risk mitigation measures
- GIS solutions and worker training; I use open-source software, which is also beneficial for customers if they want to implement or develop long-term software solutions.
- Avalanche Operations Level 3, Canadian Avalanche Association (CAA)
- Professional Member, Canadian Avalanche Association (CAA)
- Ski Guide, Association of Canadian Mountain Guides (ACMG)
- ISO 31000 Risk Management practices
- Apprentice Ski Guide, Association of Canadian Mountain Guides (ACMG)
- MSc Earth Sciences (SFU Canada) and PhD Candidate Snow & Avalanches (BOKU/Vienna)
More about the Canadian avalanche training system can be found in a publication by E. Grady: ISSW 2013: >> The Canadian Approach to Professional Avalanche Training
Current and previous projects:
- Avalanche training courses for aspiring mountain and ski guides of the Russian Mountain Guide Association (RMGA).
- Avalanche consultant to the Norwegian Geotechnical institut for Stattnet construction site in Skjomen (Narvik, Norway).
- Avalanche consultant for northern Kobi extension of Gudauri Ski Resort (Georgia/Caucasus).
- Quality control for avalanche forecast for a construction site along E39 road in Romarheimsdalen (Hordaland, Norway).
- Schön, P., Naaim-Bouvet, F., Vionnet, V., Prokop, A., 2018: Merging a Terrain-Based Parameter with Blowing Snow Fluxes for Assessing Snow Redistribution in Alpine Terrain. Cold Regions Science and Technology, recently accepted for publication.
- Schön, P., Prokop, A., Vionnet, V., Guyomarc'h, G., Naaim-Bouvet, F. und Heiser, M., 2015. Improving a terrain-based parameter for the assessment of snow depths with TLS data in the Col du Lac Blanc area. Cold Regions Science and Technology, 114, 15–26).
Prokop, A., Schön, P., Singer, F., Pulfer, G., Naaim, M., Thibert, E. and Soruco, A., 2015. Merging terrestrial laser scanning technology with photogrammetric and total station data for the determination of avalanche modeling parameters. Cold Regions Science and Technology, 110, 223-230.